Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Baby Seth

He's here! Seth Eldon Holmes was born Tuesday, October 12, 2010 at 1:55pm. He weighed 8 lbs. 14 oz. and was 20 inches long. He didn't come out screaming which always makes me a little nervous...I'd rather have my babies pinching a fit, but he just seems to be very mild tempered. (Let's see how he reacts to the chaos at home with 5 siblings.) Am I surprised that it's a boy? Nope...I had a feeling all along. (Even though the only other child I had guessed correctly was Brady...11 1/2 years ago.) But I'm glad I was right...even though I would have been glad if I had been wrong too.
Anyhow the delivery went great...only 3 1/2 hours...I told the nurses when we came in that I would probably go fast. (My total labor time for all 6 kids...adds up to a grand total of 23 hours, so I have no room to complain.) We were hoping he'd make his grand entrance on Sunday, when the date was 10/10/10, but he was just too snug and cozy I guess. I walked 3 miles after church that day by myself (which was quite enjoyable since I was able to listen to the General Relief Society meeting un-interupped). And that evening before dinner the whole family went on a 2 mile walk...that actually took us about an hour, Nate was disappointed with our time of 30 minute miles, but what do you expect with 5 kids and a pregnant/waddling mama? Needless to say, my calves were a little sore from Dead Mans Hill the next day, even though I worked out 4 times last week.
When we came in Tuesday morning, Nate was going on 30+ hours of being awake, but as long as he kept moving around and got something to eat, his adrenaline kicked right in. (He worked Monday, and then had to go in Monday night for a midnight maintenance.) When he got home at 5:30am... he knew he'd rather play basketball than sleep...so off he went. Priorities right? By the time Nate got home, the hospital had called and asked us to be there by 8:30...or as soon as we could make it in. Once we got the 3 older kids off to school, our good friend Annie Clayson watched Jace and Hannah for us for the day.
Seth is doing great, he just got back from his hearing screening and passed. He's only lost 3 oz, but since he is considered a bigger baby, that's just fine. He does have to keep having his glucose checked because he is bigger (I guess being 4 days early and nearly 9 lbs, labels you as a bigger baby), but it always comes back in the low-average scale.
I think he looks a lot like Brady and Rachel. He's not as blond, but he's definitely not a brunette like the other 3. Plus the round chubby cheeks remind me of those 2. The kids are all smitten, of course, and now that Seth is here, I don't think they even remember if they wanted a girl or boy sibling.
Luckily Nate has 5 days paid paternity leave (I'm loving ancestry.com right now ;-), and is getting to play Mr. Mom. I never really worry when I have to leave, because he is such a great dad, and can get the kids up and going as long as he promises a good WWF match.
I'm just so happy Seth is here, and I can't wait to see how his personality will blend with those that are at home. Looking at the picture with all 6 kids really does make me feel that our family is complete. I'm so grateful that my Heavenly Father trusts me with all these souls, even though I'm the one that is supposed to be teaching them daily, I feel like I learn something new each day from at least one of them. I'm also to thankful for Nate and his sweet blessing for me before we came into the hospital. He works so hard for our family and always just says that he merely 'finances' the operation, but he does so much more behind the scenes. But I am grateful that I do have the opportunity to stay home and watch these sweet spirits grow into awesome kids!
Sorry to be a little sappy, you know how emotional new mama's can get.


Here at last...he is our biggest baby...I guess he's the winner!

It'll be interesting to see how her emotions play out not being the baby of the family anymore.

He sleeps just like his daddy.

Rachel is going to be a great helper...both with Seth and Hannah.

I'm glad he woke up for when the kids came to see him.

Last week when I doubled over in pain because of the baby hitting my nerve, Jace asked me if I was Okay. I told hid that the baby had just kicked me. He then replied, "That's not good manners."

As Brady was holding him, he says..."He looks like a football player." The boy has a one track mind.

Me and all 6 kiddos...it doesn't seem like a lot of kids until I say it.

First family photo.

8 comments:

The.Mommy.Account said...

He totally looks like Brady to me!!

Jen said...

Yay! I'm so glad he's here and doing great. I still can't believe you have six! Congratulations :)

Elena said...

What a beautiful baby for a beautiful family. Congratulations!

Cherish said...

He's so ADORABLE! Glad eveything went well and that he is here. Congratulations!

Amy said...

Oh he is just darling!!!! And seriously who just looks that good after delivering their 6TH child, WOWZERS girl, you are amazing!!! Congrats! I kind of knew it would be a boy.....so fun for you guys!

And by the way, you are one lucky girl that your deliveries go that smoothly.....you should keep on popping those little cuties out! :)

Kerrilyn said...

Congratulations! He is precious! You Broadhead girls were made for birthing :) And Amy is right, you look fabulous!!!

Amy Davis said...

Congratulations! He is adorable! I can't believe how much your family has grown since you moved. Miss you guys!

Fob said...

Hey Holmes'!! SO happy for your beautiful baby boy and I'm loving to see you all together and look at all those cute faces. I can still remember Brady showing up 11 1/2 years ago - is that really possible all that time has gone by? Congratulations - we think of you often!! Kellie