The next day Zack and Mitchell went swimming early, but came home so that they could 'work' on the deck. Crazy boys I tell ya! It takes them about 10 minutes to take up 1 board...because they pull out all the nails. Where as it takes Nate about 10 seconds to take up 1 board with a sledge hammer.
We have also had Jeremy our Bro-in-Law, Brett Redd and Brett Clayson stop over a few times at night to help Nate with whatever, which really takes a load off of me.
The thing that makes it so time consuming is that Nate is having to add twice the amount of support to the underside of the deck. And since the old and new 2x10's were made about 30 years apart, all the new 2x10's have to have about 1/4" taken off of the side. But it will be strong and will last another 30 years (or longer), and we won't have to refinish it every summer (or worry about picking slivers out from the bottom of our kiddos feet.)
I asked Nate last night what his favorite part is about re-building this deck. (Believe me it was a 'sarcastic' question.) He actually had a answer though and said, 'Building the benches.' When he started one of the upper tiers he got the grandiose idea to build a bench on one side. It looks great...but even after he had laid the new TimberTeck down to complete it...he decided that he wanted to build another bench. So up came the deck and now in goes the 2nd bench. I do have to admit, they will be nice to have and look great (They are also built Pa Moulton tough...he'd be right down proud.)
Nate has done amazing things with our home and yard...and since the start of the deck I'd ask if the yard was 'Reception Worthy' yet. (Meaning...could we hold a wedding reception here.) We have at least 14 years before that happens...hopefully. When the deck is all completed...trim and all...I will post before and after pictures so that we can all have a true deck appreciation day.
I so appreciate Nate for all his hard work and patience in this project. I've learned a lot, and I know my boys have too...especially about hard work! I know in years to come...it will all seem worth it, and we'll look back on the summer when we replaced the deck and smile!
Nate on the first part of the deck.
Mitchell, Brady and Zack helping Nate with the deck.
All the extra support that has to be added to the underside.
1st Tier being replaced. All of the supports were rotten, so Nate had to build cinderblock walls to hold back the dirt, and add treated wood to make sure it doesn't rott out again.
Brett Redd helping on the deck...sorry I don't have a picture of Jeremy or Brett Clayson...they have all been great helps.
The first bench that went in.
Getting the supports ready for the 2nd bench.
The finished main part of the deck.
I wanted to take a picture with part of the old deck in it...so we could look back and see what a difference there is between the two!
2 comments:
Wow! What a huge job. Awesome, Nate!
Wow!! It's looking good!!!
Post a Comment