Sunday, May 25, 2014

Missionaries

One thing that we were anticipating in our move was being out in the mission field, away from the mother ship, helping out a ward or branch, and hopefully just being a good example of a semi-normal family! (HAHAHA) When our truck of stuff arrived 3 days after, we were amazed at how many people showed up to help us unload, and unload, and UNLOAD! (8 people have A LOT of stuff!) Ward members came, neighbors stuck around for quite some time, and the missionaries assigned to our new ward showed up. This was the first time for me and the kids to meet Elders Black and Scott, and Sisters Hernandez and Neufville. In the few weeks time, we've grown to love these young missionaries. Nate was able to go on splits with the Elders while we were still in Utah, and I believe he had met Sister Hernandez also. After our first couple of weeks of being here Nate made the comment, 'Our boys have spent more time with missionaries in these few weeks than they ever did in their lifetime in Utah.' What a great blessing it is to have them in our home. We feel their love, and it's great to see what the life of a missionary is like...both good and bad. In fact one Saturday we had both sets over for dinner, they both arrived an hour early because they wanted to do a little tracting in our neighborhood. The Sisters had a good response but it was great for us all to hear the not so nice people down the street that 'politely shut the door' on the Elders. (And as a disclaimer, I didn't know that we shouldn't have both sets over for dinner at the same time. Oops. But I did ask Elder Scott if it was okay and he said that it was every once in a while since Elder Black is the Zone Leader and can use that time to 'meet with the sisters'. Better not make that mistake again.) We were able to have the missionaries over on Mother's Day so that they could skype/talk with their families. It let me see just a little bit of what it's like to be a missionary mom. And the last picture is of the kids playing Ninja with the Elders...one of their favorites especially since every one can play, even Seth.

1 comment:

Elena said...

I remember having missionaries over all the time growing up. When I was 16 I went on a "mini mission" for a weekend and was paired with two sisters on the other side of town. It's a different world around here. I'm glad your kids are experiencing such important things.