Friday, January 15, 2010

Our Sweet Tabby



This past Monday our sweet Tabby was hit by a car. I went outside for just a moment and a construction worker across the street came up and asked if I owned a cat. I grabbed my shoes and quickly crossed the street to see if it was her. She was actually right in front of our house, and then they noticed her and put her in the bucket of the back-hoe. They didn't see it happen, but offered to bury her for me since they were digging anyhow. I quickly said yes before I lost my composure and went back inside. There I lost it...but without saying anything, my sweet Hannah came up and gave me a huge hug and patted me on the back for a long time. (She sure can brighten my day.) I told Nate, but we decided to wait until he was home from work to tell the kids. So that night, we told them and had a good talk about life in general and some fun memories of our Tabby. Here are some memories that the kids thought up:
-Nate bringing Tabby home in a cardboard box for the 1st time.
-How soft her fur was, everyone would always comment on it.
-The first couple of nights she slept just above Rachel's head on her pillow.
-We tried and tried to get her to eat dry cat food, but she would rather starve herself. She always had to have soft canned cat food. If we ran out of canned food we would use dry cat food as a 'cereal', in a bowl with milk poured over it. She would tolerate that for a day at the most.
-That cat loved every couch in this house, but really enjoyed sleeping by the fire to keep warm.
-We found a mouse in our house Thanksgiving Day (the first one ever), and we captured it and let Tabby play with it outside for a while. She had a great game of 'Cat and Mouse'
-No quail problem this summer in the garden...she was a great bird chaser.
-Tabby loved playing in the plants in the garden, the pea patch was her favorite.
-She would let Jace and Hannah drag her all around the house, without getting mad.
-Jace would always call her Tabbers when she first came here.
-The fun 'Cat House' that Nate and the kids built for her.
-Zack found her tooth under the kitchen table...we didn't know cats could loose teeth.
-Rachel taking her for Show-and-Tell.
-She of course hated baths, but would always bump into the shower curtain when Nate or I were showering. Even peeking her head in a few times. After we would get out, she would immediately enter and splash around in the small puddles.
-Climbing all the trees in our yard, especially if a dog chased her up there.

We will miss you Tabby...you were a Sweet Lovable Cat!

5 comments:

Jen said...

She sounds like a sweet cat. I wish I wasn't allergic, because I love cats. I'm so sorry you lost her :(

Kerrilyn said...

Oh, that just breaks my heart!!! It's crazy how attached we become to the little critters.

Amy said...

I am so sorry to hear that! I know how our pets are really just one of the family! We lost our dog last year and it broke our hearts, but it was so sweet how he actually died, he gave his all to climb up our 10 porch stairs and onto my Dallin's bed and he was SO sick and weak, he just wanted to be by the kids one last time, we miss him like crazy. Hang in there okay, thinking of you guys!

sean said...

That's why whenever I say I want a dog Sean says that I'm setting myself up for disappointment:). Its amazing how much they can affect our lives!

Hatch Family said...

oh...sorry.