Earlier this year we decided that we wanted to raise chickens mainly for the eggs and being a little more self sufficient, and also for teaching our kids some hands on responsibility. I know I haven't ever posted about the 'Egg McMansion' (that's what our neighbors named our chicken coop) that Nate built. I'll leave that for another post, all by itself...because it deserves one. We decided that we should get 6 pellets that were more than a few weeks old, because we didn't want to worry about keeping them warm, and we wanted eggs sooner rather than later. We got 6 chickens, and each of the kids picked out which one was theirs. A few weeks after getting them, we think that a skunk penetrated the chicken run and we found a dead chicken the next morning. (Nate smelled the skunk earlier that night. And not to worry, that next day, the chicken run was reinforced extensively.)
That left us with 5, and things were going great until one morning in June, I went out to weed the garden and I heard a Cock-a-Doodle-Do! Sure enough...Jace's little Bantam ROOSTER was perched so I could see him, and hear every crow! (Honestly, we should have guessed he really was a rooster, since his comb seemed to be a little bigger than the others.) But hey we're urban farmers, and it happens. So we made a phone call to Aunt Chalise down at Hee Haw's and she said they would take Pegasus in for us, and that Jace could visit him any time he wanted.
Pegasus has made quite a name for himself down there. My friend Annie, who helped out with field trips during the maze season, made mention of how Pegasus was quite aggressive and charged her a few times. He loves to sit on the fence right by the pigs and crow his little heart out. Bantam's are generally a lot smaller, and the man who we purchased him from said they were really docile too. Not this one, I guess Jace taught him a few things while he lived up at our house.
All ready for one last good-bye.
1 comment:
I love this story. Except the sad skunk part. Now I'll know from whom to borrow eggs when I don't have enough on a Sunday morning. Oh wait - you aren't my neighbor anymore. ;)
Post a Comment