Friday, January 23, 2009

Rachel


We noticed Rachel's female emotions on her 2nd day in the hospital...where she actually produced tears.

At age 6 months we went camping in Fairview where Rachel was miserable, whinning and crying the whole time. Camping in the outdoors was not for her. But the next year when she was 1 1/2 she loved it up there. We gave her a bucket and a spoon, and she just loved sitting and playing in the dirt.

Rachel talked early and at about 18 months, when I would say to her, "We don't have any milk or socks, or whatever." She would reply, "Go buy some more." or "We go to the store and buy some." She already thinks that her parents are made of money.

March 25, 2005 Zack rolled Rachel's head up in the van, leaving a slight red window mark on her cheek.

When Rachel was 2, before her Uncle DJ's mission, she would always run up to him and give him a big hug...she absolutely loved him.

When Rachel was 4 and her cousin Taylor was 6, I called to tell Emma something. Well Taylor answered so I said hello, but as soon as Rachel heard that it was Taylor she just had to talk to her. They ended up talking for 23 minutes, but that was when I finally said, "Please tell Taylor to hand the phone to her mom." I fear for when they are teenagers.

Rachel was 3 1/2 when we moved to P.G. One Sunday a young man with a long shag hair cut came to church. Well Rachel not so quietly said, "Mom that girl wears boys clothes." Sadly enough he was right in front of us and turned around and just grinned, I guess he took it well.

Rachel is always talking about being modest especially with the dresses that the Disney Princesses wear. When she was 3 her Grandpa Holmes drew a picture of her in a Tinker Bell outfit. She very politly said, "That dress isn't modest."

When Rachel was 4 1/2, we were outside gardening with her brothers. The kids were digging holes and finding worms. Zack kept yelling at Rachel for taking all of his worms and putting them in her hole that she had dug. I asked Rachel what she was doing, and she said, "I am trying to make them into a family." I laughed that she was actually making a worm family in her hole. A few minutes later I looked over and she was 'sawing' a worm in half with a stick. I again asked what she was doing and she replied, "I am trying to make them into a family, and this dad worm keeps trying to escape."

In October 2006, Rachel at age 3 (almost 4) became infatuated with the Little Mermaid. One day she said, "Mom, Ariel has a lot of sisters." I said, "I know, she had a lot like me...I have 6 Rachel." After she pondered that for a second I said, "Rachel how many sisters to you have?" She said, "4, I have 4 sisters." I said, "No you don't silly." "Yes I do mom, Kissy, Kaila, Taylor and Kaylee." (All her cousins.)

At times I would try and teach my kids nursery rhymes. When Zack was 4 and Rachel was 2, I was teaching Zack the rhyme: 1, 2 buckle my shoe - 3, 4 shut the door - etc, etc. Well I felt like he had finally got it so one day in the van I said to Zack, "1, 2 (wanting him to finish the rest) Well this whole time I had been teaching this rhyme to Zack, Rachel had been listening so before Zack could finish the rhyme, Rachel said, "Buckle my seatbelt!"

When Rachel was 3 for about 4 months before Halloween she obsessed about what she and everyone else was going to be. Even Nov. 1st she started talking about what she wants to be next year.

When Rachel was 2, just after having family pictures taken she cut the sides of her hair...We both cried.

Rachel loves to wear dresses and skirts. But obsesses if they aren't long enough because that is immodest. She will go to church in a nice dress and come home to change into a skirt.

April 10, 2008 Rachel was in the Jr. Cavette Drill Team. In getting ready for the performance she asked if we could make a sign that said, "GO Rachel!"

January 2008 when Rachel cut her hair for Locks for Love she obsessed about having short hair. For about a week everything was a 1st with short hair. She would say, "This is my 1st shower with short hair." or "This is my 1st time going to preschool with short hair."

When I was pregnant with Hannah, Rachel insisted that it was a girl. She talked about when dad would make her and 'her sister' princess bunkbeds. Even though we didn't know Hannah was a girl. Strangers would ask her if she was excited for her mom to have a baby and she would tell them it was a girl. Nobody could tell her any different, she was right and she knew it. After Hannah was born she was constantly reminding me that she was right about her sister and that I and everybody else was wrong that we thought that Hannah was a boy.

August 27th, 2008 Today as Rachel's 3rd day of Kindergarten. She came home today and told me that her teacher, Mrs. McAllister, told her today that she can't put lip gloss on at school anymore...I guess it was becoming a distraction. Tomorrow is back to school night so I'll ask Mrs. McAllister about it....So Mrs. McAllister told me that she was sneaking over to her backpack during class and puting lip gloss on. So she said to her, "Rachel, I love lip gloss too, but we don't put it on during class." So now Rachel still takes it to school everyday, but she tells me, "Mom, I only put my lip gloss on at the bus stop."

After I kept mentioning this story to everyone, because it was so typical 'Rachel', she finally said to me, "Mom, you can't tell that story to my cousins' moms." Haha...too late.

Before going to visit Grandma Adams one night, Nate was lecturing the kids on how well they needed to behave. He said something to the effect of "If you act up, you'll wish you hadn't..." Well Rachel piped up and said, "Dad maybe you should 'wish upon a star.' " Nate then said to her, "Rachel, everything is a fairy tale to you."

October 2008 Parent Teacher conference with Mrs. McAllister. Rachel is doing great and close to reading on her own. I asked if she was a 'Chatty Cathy' in class, she just said that "Rachel is a typical kindergartener." Which tells me yes.

At the cabin over the 24th of July in 2008 we let the 5 little girls sleep together on a pull out bed. Grammee "thanked" us the next morning, I guess the girls chatted all night long. We could tell with how onry they were the next day.

Christmas 2008 Rachel got an easy bake oven. This week her primary teacher called me to tell me what happened in class on Sunday. Sister Dickerson said Rachel was Mary in class for their lesson on the nativity. She was so impressed and touched how Rachel acted as Mary. She wore a veil and held the wrapped baby doll so gently and carressed her face. She said I wish you could have seen how sweet and gentle she was as Mary.

One day (mid-December 2008) Rachel came home from Kindergarten and said, "Mom guess what, I'm not the tallest person in class anymore. 'Johnny' was the tallest then he moved away, so I was the tallest for a little while, but today we had a new kid come to our class, and now he is the tallest." So I replied to her and said, "But are you the tallest girl still?" That comment just burst her bubble (oops) as she contemplated and sadly agreed with me.

No comments: