Friday, June 26, 2009

Wasatch Back Baby!


Queen's of Sole ready to start the race in Logan, Utah.

Angie, Sara, Marcae, Lori, Bonnie and Annie Queens of Sole Van 1

Coming in from my 1st run...man was it HOT!

I did get to see my hubby on the course a few times. Our teams ran neck and neck...but he was in his team's 2nd van.

It was so stinkin' cold waiting at the finish line in the rain.

At the finish line...Queens' of Sole finished in 29 hours! I think we did awesome!

Team Photo

Don't our calves look awesome?

Michelle, me, and Annie....Michelle is in our ward and was our team captain. Annie and I loved running together!







Well I've been waiting a few days for Nate to get his pictures from the Wasatch Back...but I decided not to wait anymore, so we'll have 2 seperate posts about our fun race last weekend. Both Nate and I ran in the Wasatch Back Relay. It is a 188 mile 12-person relay from Logan to Park City. It involves high mountain passes, harsh conditions and NO SLEEP! You may think we're crazy, but it was a ton of fun. I was on an all womans team (aka: Womans Sub-Masters...which means we were all over 30) called the "Queens of Sole". And Nate was on a mixed team (men and women) called "There is no 'I' in Teim". This is a race where there are 2 vans with 6 runners each, and each runner runs 3 different legs. While the other van is running, this is where you 'rest'. My first run was 5.1 miles in the heat of the day. Running in the sun is something that I hadn't ever done...but will definately prepare for next year. My second run, 4.2 miles, started at about 11:30 that night, and was wonderful. It was such an endorphine rush to be running through the back roads of Cache Valley next to the farmers field, and only have my head lamp for light. After our 2nd legs, we went to North Summit High School and slept. It was wall to wall bodies of tired runners, but believe it or not, the 2 hours of sleep really did help with our 3rd run. We started running at 7:30 am again, and my 3rd run was 3.8 miles....and about 3 miles of that was down hill. Pretty harsh on my knees, but they are recovering nicely I think. I had 9 road kills on that run (road kills: aka...people that I passed while running, which surprised me..because we were all running down hill), and felt like I was flying down that hill. I had a little rain, but it felt good of course. After that our van had to wait a few hours for the 2nd van to finish their 3rd legs, and then we could all cross the finish line together. We killed time by going to Cafe Rio and having lunch. And can I just say that after living on trail mix, Gatorade, fruit and power bars for the last 30 hours....that Cafe Rio salad never tasted so good. Queens of Sole came in 4th in the woman's sub-masters and 16th out of 81-all-woman's teams. I am definately going to run in this race again...no sleep and all!

5 comments:

Jen said...

I think it's so cool that you ran. FUN! Jared wasn't sure if he'd do it again when I asked him that night, but by the next day he was already talking about "next year!" As crazy as this sounds coming from a non-runner, I almost want to do it! What a great accomplishment. Way to go!

Amy Davis said...

You are amazing! What an awesome experience.

Amy said...

I am so proud of you Sara, very very cool! I wish I liked running! Hmmm.....maybe someday!

Hatch Family said...

wow sara! sounds like you had a lot of fun. i wish i lived closer or could find people to run with where i live.

way to go!

Kerrilyn said...

Okay, first of all when I saw the first picture I thought you were Chalise, especially the one where you have sun glasses on.
Nice job on the rely. That is awesome you guys placed so well. Oh, and your calves are looking mighty fine.