Saturday, June 12, 2010

Like Mother Like Daughter

Back in the day when I was nearing 12 years old, I remember bugging and bugging my mom to let me shave my legs. I wanted so much to be grown up! (I also remember sneaking to elementary school and putting on mascara in the bathroom...but not being smart enough to take it off before I headed home.) In fact my mom found this cartoon in the newspapaer soon after I had entered Jr. High, and I added it to my scrapbook because it was just what I had been pestering her about.




Fast forward 22 years...(dang, am I that old?). Now keep in mind Rachel is only 7 1/2 years old. For her daily chores that week she was on trash duty. Well as she was taking out the trash from our house, and was approaching the front porch, I noticed something poking out of her pocket. I asked her what was in her pocket, and she quickly covered it with her hand. With a little prodding, and promising her I wouldn't be mad, she unveiled one of my disposable razors that she had snuck from the trash. It was all I could do to hold in my urge to laugh, as all these memories of 'wanting to grow up' came rushing back into my mind. She said that she wanted to shave her arms...see she is 'cursed' like me with long blonde arm hair. It's not bad, it actually didn't bother me while growing up. My Grandma Broadhead use to always comment on how I had taken after her with inheriting the long blonde arm hair. And so it begins with the battle for her wanting to grow up and me wanting to keep her little!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Uh oh! She's starting early! Welcome to the world of "girls growing up!" I totally feel your pain :)