Nate and Sara at the Saddle!
On Friday, August 7th 2009, Nate and I set out at 11:30 PM for a long...long...long hike up Mt. Timp. Seriously I didn't think it would take that long, but we were with the youth in our ward, which seemed to slow us down quite a bit. We actually didn't start on the trail until about 12:00 AM. Those kids were a lot of fun and quite talkative at first, but by about 2 or 3 am....all were quite and we would just hear a few comments here and there. Besides being one of the coldest day's ever in August history, it only felt really cold when we stopped to rest. At the lower meadow, about 1/4 of the kids wanted to turn around. So some of the leaders took them back. The rest of us found our second wind...somewhere... and made it to the saddle. What an amazing view it was from there. The sleep deprivation got to a lot of us....all but 3 leaders and 2 boys. So Nate, along with Steve Clark, Lane Watters, Chance Robbins, and Spencer Taylor, went on up to the summit to see the sunrise. The rest of us watched it from the saddle. I debated on wether or not to hike to the summit or not, but without any sleep, I felt that my reflexes wern't that sharp and I didn't want to risk falling down the mountain. I think I'd like to do it again...and make it to the summit next time. Hiking through the night was great...just to see different sets of head lamps on parts of the mountain. And then to see the view on the way down in the night was breathtaking. It definately is a lot of work, but it was fun to see the view from up there.
4 comments:
That's one thing I've never done. Sounds like a cool experience, though.
Sounds like so much fun. FYI, there is a full marathon in Provo on Sept. 12. Starting up South Fork up Provo canyon and then follow the trail down to Utah Lake. I'm signed up, I think you should be too.
So so cool! Good job! Do you have other pics at the top??? I've always wanted to hike to the top of Timp, can't believe I haven't yet! Someday
very fun! anson and i made it to the top once and slid down the back side on the snow. it was really fun...hard, but fun.
Post a Comment