Sunday, December 20, 2009

Brady's Football

This was Brady's second year of tackle football. I didn't think he would want to play again after getting a concusion at the end of the season last year. But I think the football bug has bitten. He loves the adrenaline rush, and loves feeling quick and powerful at the same time. There was a little bit of drama on what team Brady was going to be on. We are new to this league and they split the teams into A and B teams when there are a lot of boys that want to play. After Brady was put on the B team, you could see the disappointment on his face. But I had a couple of mom's that came up to me and said, "You guys need to know that Brady is good enough to be on the A team, but he'll get a lot more playing time being on the B team." We were just a little concerned about who would coach. But we totally came out winners in the end. Coach Thomas, Neal's dad, used to coach for PG High and voluntered to coach the boys. He asked Nate to help coach defense and also brought some old PG players on to help out. They all did an amazing job in making and building up this team. Most of the players hadn't ever played before. We even won a couple of games, where as last year on the Lindon Vikings...we didn't win any.

Brady did get in a lot of playing time though. He mostly played defense, but would be a ball carrier every once in a while. I told him if he ever made a touch down, I'd let him pick the color of bands for my braces...it didn't happen, but maybe next year he says. He learned to wrap up and really go after the quarter back. On his final game he took down a receiver in mid-air, and knocked the wind out of him. It took a few minutes for the boy to get up, which made me a little nervous. He had some great sacks throughout the season, and it is so fun to see his personality come through on the field.

Nate did like helping out the defense. He would come home from practice and tell me all that he had done with the boys. Like running sprints and doing up-downs. (Then the next day, he would complain about being a little sore...hehe.) There were a couple of boys' mom's that told me that Nate was their son's favorite coach, because he wouldn't just stand to the side and yell out plays or count off sprints, but really got into it and pumped the boys up.

But Nate and I realize the older our kids get, the more emotionally attached we get to their games. I think to myself, "Why am I getting so stressed when it's just 5th grade? High school ball is going to do me in."


Trying to break through the line.

After this play he 'complained' and 'bragged' that he heard the other players say that they needed two players to stick to Number 50.

Taking down the QB!

Too funny that most of the pics I have are Brady playing against AF. I've 'threatened' him that I'm going to wear my old cheerleading outfit to one of his games. (Honestly, he has nothing to worry about...I love supporting him in Blue.)

Nate giving B some one-on-one coaching and Jace picking up some pointers. (Honestly we can't wait to see how Jace ends up playing football...he already 'wraps up' when he tackles his 2 older brothers and takes them down.)

1 comment:

Jen said...

FUN! I can't wait 'til Bryson can play (and neither can he). Sounds like you've got quite the little football star on your hands!