Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Thanksgiving 2009

We had a great Thanksgiving this year with lots of yummy food and family around. We held the feast here at our home with my parents and brother Jeffery, my sister Emma and her family, and Nate's mom and nephew Cassidy. Of course my kids loved being able to have their cousins here to pal around with.

It was kind of funny though when I was planning out the menu for Thanksgiving dinner, I was getting more excited for the leftovers more than the actual dinner. My favorite every year is a home made Granny Roll, with turkey, cream cheese, and a special Cranberry Relish that my mom makes every year.

Speaking of Granny Rolls...I had a few people ask me for the recipe this year. But as you may or may not know it's a family secret. I was lucky enough to spend the day before Thanksgiving with my Granny when I was first married, and helped her prepare dozens and dozens and dozens of rolls. Sadly, she's not with us anymore, but her secret is safe with me. Aunt Betty keeps asking me to give her the recipe, as do many other family members. But my mom had a great idea, next year on Granny's birthday which is October 26th, I'm going to hold a Moulton Family Enrichment and invite all my cousins and aunts over to learn how to make Granny rolls and take an 'oath' never to share the recipe. Then we can all sit around and tell fun memories that we have of Granny and Pa. They were wonderful people and I know we all miss them deeply, especially around this time of year.

On a lighter note...I had to chuckle to myself as I read everyone's posts on their Thanksgiving. As soon as dinner was over...out came the ads and the planning for the big shopping day began. That's exactly what we did too.

Sadly I didn't get any pictures of adults, but just all the cute kiddos!


Hannah found the joy of putting black olives on her fingers. I remember Granny always saying, "Only 3 olives." (She grew up in the Great Depression and hated to see anything wasted.) But since we had only 9 kids there (that is a small amount for my family), we let her put olives on all 10 fingers...she loved it!

Cute little Bella...too bad she also found Tabby's litter box...twice!

Mitchell and Tanner Evans...quite the handful of boys!

My handsome boy Brady.

Taylor Evans, she is such a good 'big sis' to Rachel.

Jace...I actually don't think he ate anything on his plate, but came back a few hours later for Pumpkin Pie...his favorite.

Rachel...you'll notice the green onions on her plate. There is a funny story about these onions (which are covered on the end with cream cheese and then rolled in shredded cheddar cheese, a Grandma Broadhead original). Last year was the first year she tried the green onions...and she kept eating and eating and eating them. She probably had about 12...which is a lot, we were amazed that she could eat so many. Even I only like a few. She had quite the sour stomach that night from all the raw onion. But she was sure excited to see them again, she just limited herself to couple this year.

Zack...seriously what kid loads his plate up first with veges? He's one in a million I tell ya!

Jace and Mitchell...best of buddies.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I love that idea of how to share Granny's rolls with everyone. How lucky are you to have the secret? So cool. Your cute little Jace must be my Hayden's clone. So funny :) Looks and sounds like a great Thanksgiving!

Amy said...

Ok so first of all how cool that you hiked rim to rim in the Grand Canyon, the pictures are amazing and what a great tradition to start. I love that it was just a bunch of your friends, so so fun.

Your Thanksgiving looks yummy, your kids are so darling!