Thursday, December 31, 2009

Eat Your Heart Out AG!

Laura Redd, who is Autumn's mom, (Autumn is a friend of Rachel's), asked Nate a few months ago if she would help her make a doll bunk bed for American Girl Dolls. She knew Rachel was asking Santa for an AG doll, and thought it might be a good idea for us to give Rachel one too. Nate was pretty busy in the shop in November and December with Toy Boxes, but still found time to make the doll beds. The word spread in our ward what he was working on, and soon had two other families wanting in on the goods. Brett Redd and Steve Clark came over to work on their's, but Nate ended up making 3 on his own. I looked on line for a pattern to buy, but couldn't find one I really liked. But was turned to YouTube, and found a step by step video there. I 'tweeked' the design a bit...and Nate also 'improved' the process a lot. The beds turned out great, and Nate just finished another one for our niece Taylor's birthday in January. On the American Girl Website, these beds cost $145....we paid $15 for supplies for one bed. And they are super sturdy...I've caught Hannah sitting on the top bunk of the doll bed a number of times.

A 'proto-type'...I liked the leaf molding, but Nate decided to add the spindle chair rail and counter-sink the wood screws to give it a more finished look.

Five beds finished and ready to go!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Wow! Way to go Nate. Those are so cute.